Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Slacker movies

Well, having neglected this blog for the past two weeks (god damn you Kuhns and your evidence exam), I have decided that I am going to write a grand treatise on the advent of the "slacker" genre in film.

Of course, being a young twenty-something, my first experience with this genre was watching Clerks. With the gradual cultivation of my taste, I would later stumble upon other such classics as Dazed & Confused, the Big Lebowski, and of course, the inimitable, Harold and Kumar.

So, for my research, I am asking for other such movies that you know of.

I think "Cheech and Chong: Up in Smoke" was the first manifestation of the comedic slacker film, which I assumed was a burlesque of Easy Rider.

If I stretch it, even Bande a parte kind of fits this profile. But, I would love any additional submissions.

4 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Blogger warm fuzzy said...

yay!! A blog post!!!

Bottle Rocket - one of the best.movies.ever!

Reality Bites

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - ? would this be considered a slacker movie?

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Slacker, the pre-Dazed Linklater film (which I've not seen, actually, cos I was never that big a fan of Dazed.)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger washrambler said...

Bill & Ted are definitely slacker characters, since any good slacker movie requires a buddy element. However, the one hang-up I have is that the characters tend to be very active - as in doing research for a high school report. There is also a science fiction conceit. It is, in some sense, goal-oriented (though I am loathe to use that word), which kind of defeats the atmosphere of aimlessness and lassitude a good slacker movie requires.

Reality Bites fits the slacker description. Basically a precursor to Friends since it involves a bit of arrested development like the sitcom. But, obviously, the characters in Reality Bites are far more aimless than in Friends.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger washrambler said...

I have yet to see all of Bottle Rocket, but what I saw seemed to fit the description.

I was also thinking of Slacker, but since I have yet to see it, I didn't mention it in my blog post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home